DIY: Pottery Barn Dupe – Amate Framed Print

I’ve been searching for months for the perfect neutral artwork to go above my bed. After countless hours of scrolling and pinning various options to a secret Pinterest board I finally stumbled on something that was exactly what I envisioned.. the only problem; its price! Whew! Who in their right mind would spend close to $700.00 on one piece of artwork no matter how stunning it is? Not me! Once the sticker shock wore off I set on a mission to recreate a similar dupe for a price my pocketbook (and bank account) would be pleased with.

To help you get started, here is a list of the items I used:

*This post contains some affiliate links. That means that if you make a purchase after clicking on a link I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. 

When I was first brainstorming up ideas to recreate the artwork I had my mind set on buying an already assembled frame but after comparing prices from various stores the cost always came to roughly $50.00 per frame (with coupons). Not wanting to spend an arm and a leg I had the idea to use a painters canvas and just remove the canvas part. Each canvas ended up costing me 1/5 of the price of one pre-assembled canvas which is a definite win-win in my book. To start the project I began by putting on my favorite playlist on Spotify and cutting the canvas away from the frame. Once finished I brought it out to my garage and sawed off the middle supporting brace (don’t worry this will not mess with the structural integrity of the canvas).

The canvas I bought ended up being much bigger than I anticipated so I ended up cutting it down to the exact dimensions I wanted my artwork to be and then I simply stapled the pieces back together once I triple checked that everything lined up and was perfectly square.

After assembling the frame I began to trace the inside dimensions of it onto my MDF board then brought it out to my garage to cut it and dry fit it to ensure my measurements were perfect. You might be wondering what that homely looking taped piece of cardboard is doing sitting next to my project. Well, when I first attempted to dupe this artwork I somehow thought it would be cheaper and easier if I just used some cardboard boxes that I had lying around my house as a backing element. This was a huge fail and the artwork turned out looking wonky and down right embarrassing. It looked like an elementary school craft fair threw up in my bedroom and instant regret set in once I had it hung. Not one to be defeated by a project I brainstormed ideas to make it sturdier and am so glad I redid the whole thing.

I then removed the MDF board from the frame and placed the tabs that came with the canvas on just the bottom slots. Once completed I brought it into my garage and began to stain it. At first the color was way too dark so I lightened it up by applying some classic gray over it. This was the prefect combination and gave the frame some lovely depth and dimension.

While my stain was drying I decided to start working on the backing of my artwork. I grabbed my trusty iron and began removing all of the wrinkles (this step is very, very important as it will look unfinished if the fabric is not crisp and wrinkle-free). I then placed it on my floor, laid my MDF on top of it and began hot gluing it onto the MDF. When you’re doing this make sure to pull the fabric as taut as possible so there will be no visible wrinkling or rippling on the fabric once its flipped over. I also went around all the edges with a generous amount of packaging tape to secure the loose strings of the fraying fabric.

I then flipped my MDF board over and inspected the canvas fabric to make sure it was pulled tight enough over it to ensure there would be no sagging. Once satisfied, I laid my amate paper on top of it and began measuring the border around it making sure it was even on all 4 sides. I then whipped out my hot glue gun and went to town. If any of the paper starts to pop up in some areas simply dab a dot of hot glue behind it and gently press it down with your finger. After going through what felt like a million glue sticks it was time to put my MDF board into my frame. This part was so easy all I had to do was place it over the opening and gently tap it in with my hand. Due to the cut being a perfect fit it will not be going anywhere or magically fall out from the frame. The final step of the project was to drill on the sawtooth hangers and hang my completed artwork above my bed.

Dreaming up more projects to create,